Eliminate back strain with this hip level composter. The best garden tools are those
that fit your style. If you prefer to work at waist level, this elevated compost maker is
perfect. It is made with recycled components, including a pre-used 55 gallon black
barrel and a frame made with plastic lumber that is 70% post consumer.
The Upcycle Composter is an upcycled food grade barrel. It is about 4 foot tall and
only requires a 3 foot by 4 foot area. You can put it in a smaller area for storage, but
you'll need that much space free from obstacles to spin the barrel and properly aerate the compost.
Using a rocking motion to build momentum, a compost tumbler is relatively easy to
turn. However, the composting action will rapidly reduce the content of the barrel to
less than half its starting volume.
The three main ingredients that a composter needs is heat, oxygen, and moisture.
The best position to place your composter is in full sun or at a minimum partial sun.
The barrel holds the heat in all night and does not allow it to cool down like an open
bin or stacking bin. The black barrel will absorb heat all day. The center tube aerates the compost pile and allows excess moisture to drain out. The steel bars inside break up the compost and fluff it up for better aeration. The most efficient bacteria, called "aerobes", need oxygen to do their work. Without oxygen, they cannot survive and anaerobes can take over. Anaerobic bacteria isn't very good at breaking down compost - those bacteria can slow decomposition down by as much as 90 percent.
Here in the Midwest we can completely compost the product in the barrel in about 4
The composters are shipped with all pieces in a kit inside the barrel. We provide full
color assembly instructions along with general use instructions.
Compost Tumbler Features and Benefits:
- Holds an impressive 7.3 cubic feet of material! This is approximately 55 gallons
- Low maintenance, nothing to clog up
- Pest proof, fully enclosed, off-the-ground compost bin
- Avoids odor problems by controlling moisture and aeration in excessively dry or rainy areas
- Provides insulation to aid heating of compost
- Compost Tumbler can be moved around the yard
- Assembled dimensions: 36" wide by 36" deep by 46" tall
- Weight: 75 lbs
- Easy mixing & turning of the compost materials
- 5 year manufacturer's warranty
Additional Composting Information: